Iconic photographer W. Eugene Smith thought darkroom work to be about 90% of the photos creation process. In today’s digital age, this is a step often overlooked and exclaimed as, “My camera doesn’t take good pictures.” This class is meant to give you an insight into the Develop Module in Adobe Lightroom® and how to use it like the darkroom of the film era to get the most out of your photography.
Whether you are new to Lightroom® or have been using it for years and are looking to pick up some new editing tips and methods, this class is for you! Let me take my, easy to follow teaching style and put it to use for you. We will start with the basics of editing an image all the way through the final export process. Everyone will be given the same RAW files to work with during the class so all participants can learn in a similar way.
What we will cover (Library):
- Lightroom® Catalog
- What is the Lightroom® Catalog and how does it work?
- Creating a Catalog for the first time
- Where is it and where should it be?
- What to do if you have more than one catalog?
- Where are my files coming from and where do I put them?
- Using keywords at the time of import
- Importing images from other programs like iPhoto or Aperture
- What is Export and how do you use it?
- File Management
- Moving files in Lightroom® vs outside of Lightroom®
- Finding missing folders or images
- Easy systems for organization
- Using Collections to group photos together
- General Workflow
- Creating a system from import through export that is logical and will help you find images years from now
This class if designed for Lightroom® 5, 6 and Classic CC.
*I find most of the confusion in a Lightroom® class comes from everyone having their own unique problems. This class is designed to give you an overview of the workings of Lightroom’s® library module. By leaving your computer at home and later using the supplied materials and your newfound knowledge, it will help you make heads or tails out of your individual needs when you return home to your own computer and a more efficient time for our class.
What we will cover (Develop):
- Editing RAW vs JPEG files
- How the editing process works in Lightroom®
- Creating a workflow for your editing process
- Basic images adjustments
- White balance
- Highlights/whites/blacks, etc
- More advanced adjustments
- Split Toning
- Noise reduction
- Lens correction and perspective adjustments
- Much more
All participants will be given an editing guide to take home and further their learning and understanding.
*This is a interactive class and requires a laptop computer with Adobe Lightroom 5, 6 or Classic CC installed. If you don’t have Lightroom yet, there is a 30 day free trial available from Adobe’s® website that will work for this class. Please have a fully downloaded and working copy installed and previously licensed before the class as to not take time away from the curriculum.